Chicken & Dumplings Recipe
It’s difficult for patients suffering from chemotherapy and/or radiation-related mouth sores to find easy, healthy recipes that are also gentle on the digestive system (while being delicious!). This simple, freezer-friendly recipe by Holly Clegg, author of the book “Eating Well Through Cancer” and “The Healthy Cooking Blog”, is nutritious, tasty, and made with everyday ingredients.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup baby carrots
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup and 6 cups low-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 6 cups low-sodium, fat-free chicken broth, divided
- ½ tsp teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken breast chopped skinless rotisserie chicken breast
- 2 cups biscuit baking mix
- ⅔ cup skim milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
Makes 8 servings
- In a large nonstick pot coated with nonstick cooking spray, sauté onion, carrots, and garlic over medium heat until tender.
- In a small cup, stir flour and 1/3 cup chicken broth, mixing until smooth. Gradually add flour mixture and remaining broth to pot; bring to boil. Add thyme and chicken.
- In a bowl, stir together biscuit baking mix and milk. Drop mixture by spoonfuls into boiling broth.
- Return to boil, reduce heat, and cook, covered, carefully stirring occasionally, 15-20 minutes or until dumplings are done. Season to taste. If soup is too thick, add more chicken broth.
Pro-tip: If short on time, cut flaky biscuits into fourths and drop into boiling broth, or use flour tortillas cut into fourths.
*Nutritional information per serving: Calories 212. Calories from fat 22%. Fat 5g. Saturated Fat 1g. Cholesterol 32mg. Sodium 553mg. Carbohydrate 26g. Dietary Fiber 2g. Sugars 4g. Protein 15. Dietary Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat
*Add fortified dry milk to increase calories and protein